Friday, November 1, 2013

Caduceus - A symbol of Commerce or Medicine?

Hi,
Are you confused with the symbols? Well you have come to right place, read on :
I am not either a commerce graduate or a physician, but I was asked this question ignoring the fact that I am a Civil Engineer. I never even heard about Caduceus, but when I was asked for help I had to search for it. What I found from the internet search is that, Caduceus is a symbol of commerce and often is confused with the staff of Asclepius, which is the original symbol of medicine. Caduceus is the staff of the Greek God, Mercury, who was a God of merchants, and Asclepeus was a physician, so his staff is used as the symbol of the medicine. If you search the wikipedia today, there is wrong information about it.
Read this article, written by a physicist of the age 60 above, and you will get more details here
Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment